California Vital Records
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, birth and death certificate orders may be delayed. Please check your status page frequently, as delivery times may fluctuate in response to any new developments. Thank you for your patience, and please Click Here for updated information regarding COVID-19.
There are three ways to order a vital record:
- Fill out the online order form found here
- If you have not supplied all the supporting documentation after checkout, please do so by clicking here
2.  By mail
- Birth: Certificates cost $25 (additional copies are $25 each)
- Death: not currently available
Our transaction fee starts at $14, but may vary depending on the delivery method.
No additional identification is required. However, a notarized sworn statement must be provided in order to prove the identity of the individual making the request.
Relationships are based on familial connections or marriage. The following can order a birth certificate:
- Spouse/ Domestic Partner
- Legal guardian or representative (must be able to provide legal documentation supporting the relationship)
- A party entitled to receive record as a result of a court order or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code (needs court order)
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate.
- Appointed rights in a power of attorney, or an executor of the registrant's estate (needs legal docs)
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business (companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency)
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, birth and death certificate orders may be delayed. Please check your status page frequently, as delivery times will fluctuate in response to any new developments. Thank you for your patience, and please Click Here for updated information regarding COVID-19.