Your browser is not compatible with the features of this site.

This site is not compatible with browsers older than Internet Explorer 10.

Please Contact Us for more ordering options:

It looks like your browser currently has cookies disabled
Please enable cookies to continue

How to Get a Replacement Birth Certificate After Losing Your IDs

How to Get a Replacement Birth Certificate After Losing Your IDs.

woman opens leather wallet to reveal it’s empty inside

When replacing your birth certificate with no vital records on hand or additional proof of Identification, you’ll need to take the following steps:

  1. Find the vital records office in your state of birth or go online to State Vital Records website to start the process.
  2. Although a few states allow you to apply for a replacement birth certificate without Identification, most states will require your parents to submit a notarized letter to request the vital record in addition to a copy of their photo ID.
  3. If you recently changed your name or got married, you can request a copy of your marriage license without showing your photo ID through your state’s vital records office or online at State Vital Records.

Request a Certified Copy of a Death Certificate

If you've had the misfortune of losing a copy of a death certificate, you can get a replacement from the state where the death occurred by applying for a new one on their official website. Just be aware that each state has different laws and fees. To apply, you're required to submit the following:

  • Full name of the deceased
  • The deceased's sex
  • Parents' names, including maiden name of the mother
  • Place of death
  • The reason you need the death certificate
  • Relationship to the deceased
  • Your phone number

How To Replace Lost Social Security Cards

Contact the Social Security Administration if your card was lost or stolen card. Having the necessary documents and memorizing your social security number will determine how easy it will be to replace your social security card. When applying, you'll need to supply the following documents:

Who Can Request for a Birth Certificate to Replace IDs?

If you were born abroad or on a military base outside the country, the best course of action is to contact the Department of State for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which your parents must request on your behalf. For individuals born in a foreign country and adopted by U.S citizens needing a certified copy of your birth certificate, you'll have to contact the closest foreign embassy for that country. To get your authenticated copy translated into English, contact the embassy for help.

Those adopted from another country should have copies of their naturalization/citizenship papers. If you fail to locate these, apply for a replacement on the official website of the United States government.

Requesting Copies of Other Vital Records

Whether you need copies of divorce decrees, death certificates, or additional vital records, you will need to contact the county clerk's office in the state that initially granted the documentation. Some offices regard these documents as a public record and will grant you access without asking for proof of identity.

However, if you've moved or this isn't feasible, you can order online with State Vital Records and request certified copies of your birth certificate to use as proof of identification while replacing lost or stolen ids. Alternatively, you can replace the following vital records online through the official U.S government website, including

Contact State Vital Records and Get Your Birth Certificate Copy!

Whatever your situation, State Vital Records eliminates the hoops you need to jump through to replace your birth certificate. Our quick, efficient process makes replacing your birth certificate easy and affordable. Just fill out an online application, and as soon as it's received, we'll get to work expediting the entire ordering process. Not only that, we provide tracking so you can stay up-to-date on your order's whereabouts to ensure your birth certificate securely gets delivered and in the right hands.

Order online to get a certified copy of your birth certificate today or to hear more about the other types of vital records we provide, including death certificates and passports. Contact us today!